R. L. Halversen Young Artist Concert
2017 Concert Info
R.L. Halversen Young Artist Concert
Open Audition Call
The Orchestra of Southern Utah
June 1, 2016
Dear Music Teachers and Youth Musicians:
The Orchestra of Southern Utah is pleased to announce the auditions for the R.L. Halversen Young Artist Concert. We extend an invitation to talented youth (ages 13-25) to audition with concertos,orchestral solos, or original compositions. Southern Utah has a great history of music and we are surprised constantly at the amazing young musicians. This concert is specifically created to honor a
teacher, Roy L. Halversen, who instilled a love and legacy of music. We could not imagine a better way to continue his legacy then by showcasing the talent and passion of our youth.
Performing as a soloist with an orchestra is an unforgettable
experience. We also understand how much time, effort, and practice
goes into a performance of this caliber. In order to have enough time
to prepare, we encourage all to prepare now! A recorded audition of
the musical selection, with piano accompaniment, is due October 15,
2016. The concert takes place the evening of April 6, 2017. We look
forward to hearing the talent of the youth in this competition.
Young Artists who are selected to perform at the concert will receive a $50 honorarium, DVD/CD recording, be featured on OSU’s website and YouTube Channel, as well as an experience performing with a 60 piece orchestra. Past winners have continued on to become successful music teachers, professionals, and leaders.
CD Auditions should be received by October 15, 2016 with a
completed application, audition fee ($20), and a high quality
recording. Keep in mind that those who are selected for call backs
must be available for the live auditions on November 12, 2016. In order to hear a high caliber performance, please have piano accompaniment for both recording and live auditions. Please see attached for complete Rules and Regulations. Do not hesitate to contact Emily, Pete, or Mandy if you
have any questions. We hope you are excited to audition!
Executive Director, Orchestra of Southern Utah
2016-2017 Dates and Deadlines
Rules and Regulations
Current Dates and Deadlines 2016-2017
1. CD Auditions: October 15, 2016 (Mail to:)
OSU, 2111 N. Main St. #11
Cedar City, UT 84721
2. Call Backs POSTED: October 31, 2016
a. Will be posted on www.myosu.org/news.html
3. Live Auditions: November 12, 2016
a. Held in Thorley Recital Hall on the SUU Campus from 9:00 am- 12:00
4. Selected Soloists/Composers Announced: November 14, 2016
5. Photo and Bio due date for publicity: December 1, 2016
6. Photo and Bio (if changed or updated) for program: March 6, 2017
7. Rehearsals: March 2, 9, 16, 23, 20
a. Will be scheduled for only two or three for approx. 20 minutes.
8. Dress Rehearsal: April 5, 2017
9. R.L. Halversen Young Artist Concert, “Youthful Legacy”: April 6, 2017
1. Must be between the ages of 13 and 25.
2. May perform a Concerto, Orchestral Solo, or an Original Composition.
3. May not be selected to perform in two consecutive Young Artist Concerts.
4. Must turn in Application Packet before or by the due date typically in October.
a. Application Includes: Written Application, Recorded Audition CD, and $20 non-refundable Audition Fee payable to the Orchestra of Southern Utah or OSU.
5. Must be available for the Live Auditions, in the case of a call back, typically in November.
6. Must be available for the concert date, the dress rehearsal, and at least three Thursday Evening
rehearsals prior to the concert.
1. Music chosen should be owned by OSU, SUU, or available for purchase.
a. Music that must be rented MAY be rented by OSU at the expense of the soloist.
b. Note: Rentals typically cannot be recorded.
2. Music length should not exceed 10 minutes in length.
3. Choose 1 movement of the concerto or Orchestral Solo
4. Original Compositions should be orchestrated to include Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola, Cello, and Bass.
a. Encouraged to include Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Trumpet, Trombone, Trumpet,
Horn in F, Tuba, Timpani, and Percussion. (Also access to English Horn and Saxophones)
1. SOLO Recorded auditions should have solo and piano accompaniment.
2. Original Composition Auditions should include a digital recording of composition AND a full
3. Recordings should be made with the best quality possible.
4. Recordings should be playable on a CD Player.
5. Must be received by deadline with a completed application and audition fee.
6. If you would like your CD returned, please send a pre-addressed and stamped envelope.
1. Solo Live Auditions should have both solo and piano accompaniment.
2. Original Compositions will have a few minutes to talk about their piece.
3. Date and Place of the live auditions will be published at the same time that the CD Audition date
is published, printed on the application.
4. Must be available (typically between 9:00 am- 12:00 pm) for live audition. No rescheduling will
Rehearsals and Concert
1. Must be available for at least 2 and as many as 4, Thursday evening rehearsals with the
orchestra located in the Heritage Center between 7:00 and 9:30 pm.
a. Note: will be scheduled in advance and may not be needed the entire rehearsal.
2. Must be available for the Wednesday night Dress Rehearsal the evening prior to the concert
from 6:30-9:30 pm.
3. Must be available for the Performance from 6:30 until the end.
Selected Young Artists
1. Will receive a $50 Honorarium, given the evening of the performance
2. An Official CD or DVD (of their choice) of the performance
a. More recordings can be ordered for a discounted price.
b. NOTE: If the piece is rented, it may not be possible to record for CD/DVD at all. Subject to copyright laws.
3. Have an opportunity to be featured on OSU printed publicity, internet publicity, and YouTube
4. Will submit a high quality photo and resume by deadline
5. Will work with the music librarian to ensure that the correct version/arrangement/publication is
6. We will be selecting 3-5 soloists and 2-3 alternates.
1. Music Questions: Music Librarian- Mandy Hepworth, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Rules and Regulations OR General Questions: Orchestra Manager- Emily Hepworth,
email@example.com or 435-233-8213
3. Audition Process/Progress: Executive Director- Pete Akins, firstname.lastname@example.org or 435-592-4266